Wednesday 23 August 2017

Summer catch-up

I've been taking a short break from blogging over the summer holidays but thought it was time I dropped back in and updated the blog with what's been happening in my world of late!

Hubby and I have just returned from a week on the beautiful  island of Sicily. Our first visit there but hopefully not our last. My late aunt used to spend a lot of time there and I heard her talking about it throughout my childhood and beyond. I have inherited several pieces of pottery, glass and jewellery that she bought there over the years. It is somewhere I have wanted to visit for a while, especially since she died. Anyway, I finally made it! I only spent a week there but I can certainly see why she loved it so much. Here are just a view images.
Mt Etna
standing on a volcano is spectacular!
Greek theatre - we watched an opera here one evening

the beautiful sea
sometimes you felt on top of the world!
a little wine tasting was involved!
the colour of the sea was amazing


               
I've also had two lots of friends staying. It was lovely to catch up with them and hear all their news. It also means we tend to go out and visit places near us that we don't often go! Sometimes easy to miss the things on our own doorstep!


Kynance Cove

Gunwalloe Cove - Poldark country!

I went to Plymouth for a couple of days to see the spectacular firework display they hold there. We also had time for a visit to the Plymouth Gin Distillery!

so many different bottles!
these particularly caught my eye - can you tell why?!

We also took a short family trip to London, which was wonderful and very tiring! Lots of walking and sightseeing, but great fun.

I have been writing and have managed to add words to my current manuscript. The first draft is coming along nicely. Hope to get more done before I go back to the day job in just under two weeks time. 

So, that's my summer in a nutshell! What has everyone been up to? I'll try and visit some blogs this week and find out.





       

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have been taking some awesome trips this summer. I went on a fun weekend one and to see the eclipse, but nothing like your trips. It's been a fun summer and I've enjoyed not blogging as much too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a good summer, Natalie, I have been very lucky. Hope you enjoyed the eclipse.

      Delete
  2. You sure have been seeing the sights and having fun. The theatre would be neat to see. Standing a volcano sounds fun, unless it goes boom haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got to visit one of your aunt's favorite spots. It does look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel like I was meant to go and I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity.

      Delete
  4. You definitely made the most of your summer. The views in Sicily look breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote it all down it did seem pretty full on!

      Delete
  5. Hi Suzanne - Sicily is definitely on my list to see - it looks stunning. Wonderful you've had friends staying and have had time to visit some 'local' areas ... a fun summer - and glad you got some writing in - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to go Hilary, you would love it . . . so full of history.

      Delete
  6. What a great summer you've had. It's lovely that you were able to follow in your aunt's footsteps.

    I avoid the fireworks, because it's a nightmare to get home - I cheated and watched them on Facebook :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wondered if you were about for the fireworks, Annalisa. We stayed in the city overnight and the traffic seemed quite bad. Good show though :)

      Delete
  7. Seems like you have had a grand time Suzanne. That's the way life should be.
    Thankls for sharing.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky, lucky lady! A Summer of a lifetime! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have felt very lucky this summer Shah. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow! It's so beautiful! I'm glad your visit lived up to your expectations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that you had a lot of fun this summer!


    www.ficklemillennial.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing the pictures and reading what you did...I am jealous. Gosh, I would love to see and stand on a real volcano.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit and interact but please note I have disabled anonymous comments due to too much spam!