Friday 27 January 2017

Celebrate the small things

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted on this hop for a while. If you read my short post last week you will no doubt be aware of my computer issues! Which leads nicely onto my first celebration of the week . . . getting to grips with my new computer. I had a few teething problems to begin with but computer and I seem to be developing a close friendship and hopefully it will last a good while! I had my previous laptop for a number of years so I can't really complain.

Last week was my birthday . . . yes 21 again! Although I was working I had a good day and a nice meal with family in the evening. Apart from the aforementioned computer I was lucky enough to receive a beautiful, sparkly, unicorn cover for my phone!

  
So very me!

My reading for the year has got off to an excellent start and I have already read some great books for adults, YA and MG

I'd particularly like to mention an MG read The Goldfish Boy by Lisa Thompson.

The story follows twelve year old Matthew Corbin. Matthew is funny, kind and very likeable but he has an overwhelming fear of germs which is making his life very difficult. His anxieties cause him to spend much of his life indoors, watching the world go by from his window. All until a toddler disappears in his street and Matthew was the last to see him from his window. Matthew has to confront his own fears and obsessive behaviour to help unravel the mystery. As the story unfolds we learn more about Matthew and the events that have led to his OCD.

Moving, funny and well-researched.


This reminded me of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon in many ways.
  




In my own writing I have completed the first few chapters of my new manuscript. A long way to go but progress is being made which is the most important thing.

Happy weekend

                                                     Thanks to Lexa and her lovely co-hosts
            L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge 
   Tonja Drecker @ Kidbits Blog

16 comments:

  1. I love that phone case! Glad your new computer is up and running, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday!!!! Good luck with your new computer. And congrats on writing the first few chapters of your new book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the iPhone cover. Have a great weekend!

    Marilyn @ onbecomingawriter.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Progress is the most important thing indeed. Hope a happy birthday was had. The Goldfish Boy sounds like a fun one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the phone case, perfect for you! Glad the change of computer hasn't held your writing up too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the phone cover! How perfect. I'm glad you and your new computer have hit it off. Happy 21st! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the book review. I find OCD fascinating, but sure wouldn't want to have it. Glad you and your new computer are getting along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for the new computer, teething trouble and all. Can you imagine I got a new Toshiba computer a few years ago (my HP was about 8 years old), but I couldn't adapt to the new keyboard. I ended up getting a new motherboard and memory for my HP and selling the new one. I'm in big trouble when my old HP gives up the ghost. Happy Birthday to you, congrats on your unicorn cover, and the progress on your chapters! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope all settle s down with your new computer Suzanne. My it's been cold here how about where you are?
    Have a wonderful week-end.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had a good birthday.
    Good thing you and your new computer have come to terms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Progress wise and writing- every little bit counts! Good job so far! And Unicorns are great! Happy birthday late!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Suzanne - happy birthday time ... I'm still owed a lunch - which might happen this coming week .. nothing like a long birthday! That phone case looks delightful ... and that computer - great news it's working easily for you ...

    Congratulations on all things and that writing too - enjoy the weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! And glad to hear that your computer and you are coming to terms. I dread the day I'll need to switch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello everyone, thanks as ever, for your kind comments and visits. Computer and I are getting along just fine, I'm even getting used to the keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday, and best wishes on your new computer. Once you get it set up like your old one, you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yippee! Tech issues on the mend--time to start kicking trash and taking numbers, eh? Before you know it, you're going to be typing 1000 page manuals on that thing. With unicorns, of course. Happy late birthday!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit and interact but please note I have disabled anonymous comments due to too much spam!